Saturday, November 15, 2014

Isabelle

I'm sure you all know but, WE'VE GOT ANOTHER LITTLE GIRL IN OUR FAMILY! A few people have been curious how my delivery went this time so I figured this was the easiest avenue to tell the story.
I started having what I felt like were minor contractions pretty soon after I woke up on Tuesday the 11th. I got the girls ready and took them over to a neighbors' house at 10:30 so I could go to my regular 37 week appointment as well as an ultrasound afterward because my doctor was concerned about me measuring small (which wasn't concerning to me because I've always measured small in my  pregnancies.) At my appointment the doctor said I was dilated to 5 cm but didn't seem too concerned about my contractions. At my ultrasound they said by their measurements, baby was about 2 weeks behind schedule so they sent me over to labor and delivery to do a non-stress test and wanted me to set up 2 non-stress tests every week until she was born, so I'm very glad that she did come so I didn't have to do all of the extra tests.
Anyway, the test came back looking good and they even saw the regularity of my contractions but sent me home with a "well, we might see you back here tonight", which I didn't really mind because I was feeling totally unprepared to be in the hospital because of the dirty dishes and laundry that were back at the house. By the time I got the girls picked up it was about 1:00. At 2:00 I called Chad and told him that although I didn't think I was going to need to go to the hospital anytime soon, I would feel safer if he caught the next train home. I didn't know this before calling but it turns out he was going to head to an off-site meeting in some mountain cave where they have data storage from 3-5:00 so I wouldn't have been able to get a hold of him if I had needed him so it was a good thing I called when I did.
After the call, contractions really started hurting. Chad walked in the door around 3:00, took the girls back over to our neighbors' to wait for my friend Meggie to pick them up and we left the house at 3:15. We got  all checked  in and hooked up to an IV.  I got my epidural put in and it had mostly taken effect by the time I started pushing. I think I did 3 or 4 pushes and then they told me to stop and baby girl pretty much delivered herself. At 5:04 pm our little Isabelle arrived! 6 lb 14 oz and 19 1/2 inches long (over a pound bigger than the ultrasound tech was guessing) with a decent amount of dark blonde hair and super long fingers and toes.
She is by far our best eater yet and is a decent sleeper but most newborns are so we'll keep our fingers crossed. Addi and Bailey absolutely adore their baby sister and can't get enough of her. And now for a small photo dump.
 Staring at the dots on her bassinet.
And for your viewing pleasure, the 3 cutest sisters you've ever seen.

No comments: